100 Pioneer Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Elderday is an Adult Day Health Care center located in Santa Cruz since 1981. Ours is a safe, supportive and happy day health program that helps older and disabled adults take care of their health and daily living needs. Our goal is to support frail adults with complex medical problems in maximizing their level of functioning in their own community, preferably in their own homes and out of institutions, as long as it is medically, socially and economically feasible.
Our services include individual assessment, professional nursing services, physical and occupational therapies, social services and personal care. In addition to these medical and professional services, our participants receive transportation to and from our center, a healthy snack and lunch, and planned social and therapeutic recreational activities during the day.
Volunteers provide companionship to participants by engaging in activities with them such as: arts and crafts, dominos, bingo, lotería, playing cards, doing manicures, music, dancing, knitting, guiding and assisting participants, along with Elderday staff, during walks outside. Volunteers also assist with the following kinds of activities:
- Reading to participants and/or teaching them to read
- Assisting in writing letters and/or making holiday cards
- Assisting in serving breakfast and lunch
- Assisting participants clean their area or other areas as needed
- Assisting participants during arrival and departure time
- Filing paperwork
- Setting up and refining personalized music playlists for the Music & Memory program
- Teaching art, crafts, music, dance, yoga, etc.