Advising Mission Statement
By recognizing the value of college academic advising and the critical role advising plays in the successful transition of new students to the university, to retention, to time to degree, and general satisfaction of our undergraduates' experience, the College Nine academic advising program is committed to meeting the assortment of advising needs of our students and helping students clarify and achieve their individual goals through coherent educational planning with professional staff advising support. As the theme of College Nine is "International and Global Perspectives," we encoruage students to incorporate related courses, study abroad programs, second languages, co-curricular programs, and field study experiences in some meaningful way to understand and appreciate the complexity of a diverse and dynamic society.
The primary goal is to assist students in identifying and clarifying their academic direction and educational goals, and to help them develop meaningful and compatible educational plans and success strategies.
While the ultimate responsibility for making educational planning decisions rests with students, the college advising office at College Nine is committed to the following objectives:
1. Teaching students about degree requirements, university policies, procedures, and academic support resources, and educational opportunities relevant to their success;
2. Clarifying, interpreting, and applying academic policies and requirements as needed;
3. Helping students develop educational plans to meet their academic goals and guide them through the process of value clarification;
4. Assisting students in the selection of appropriate courses, other educational/experiential opportunities, and co-curricular programs;
5. Ensuring compliance with university policies regarding academic success and minimum progress;
6. Collecting and distributing data regarding students' academic needs, standing, and performance for use in making institutional decisions and policy;
7. Fostering meaningful adviser-advisee relationships that focus on the unique growth and development of each student; and
8. Providing accurate information about academic programs and educational opportunities.